Wednesday, May 12, 2010

good and perfect gifts

One of my absolute favorite parts of being Noah's Mommy and now Amelia's is watching him grow and seeing the gifts God gave him emerge. In turn, recognizing our children's gifts and cultivating those gifts is one of the most challenging pieces of parenting.

In our 20 week ultrasound, when I was pregnant with Noah, I actually asked the technician (while she was looking at Noah's brain) if she could tell if he was left handed. To be honest, I think the question surprised and slightly offended her...I mean who cares if their kid is left handed?!? Who? - New parents that love baseball and dream of their little boy pitching in the big leagues...silly inexperienced parents, that's who!

I do not mean to say it is wrong for parents to have high hopes and dreams for their children...only that focusing on the gifts you want your children to have, rather than the gifts that are unique to them may not be the best approach. An obvious concept to seasoned parents, but fairly new to me.

As it turns out, Noah is right handed. He does however have a pretty decent arm (compared to other 21 mo kiddos I've scouted). A fact that thrills his baseball loving parents and has prompted the removal of all things breakable in our home. But, he also loves animals, running circles around and playing jokes on his parents. He likes to read, dance and sing. He is aggressive and happy. He loves nutra-grain bars, ice cream and his blankee. He is clever and cute and manipulative. (A dangerous combination!!) He is a lot of things that I didn't dream he'd be and I love it!

I had dreams for Amelia too. Dreams of dance lessons and school recitals, softball games and hair bows. I had dreams for her; but God has plans for her much greater than I had imagined. She has special gifts that I may never see and gifts I already know. She is strong and silly and playful. She is filled with life...

My children are special. They are unique and God has given them very special gifts. My cup overflows.

May God grant us the ability to see the gifts he has bestowed in all children. Give us the patience to discover those gifts, to encourage and guide our children. Help us to take the time to know them as our Father knows us.

Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it.
Proverbs 22:6

No comments: