Monday, April 12, 2010

Sent out.

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." John 20:19-21

Sunday’s sermon included this story of Jesus appearing to the disciples. It is a story I have heard many, many times before. I have to say I related to this story a bit differently than I had previously.

When we first got the news of Amelia’s condition, my first reactions included wanting to lock myself away for the length of the pregnancy. I was afraid to face people, afraid to face the usual pregnancy comments and questions even complete strangers commonly ask. “When are you due?” “What are you having?” Not the same fear that the disciples had, but an overwhelming urge to hide away until the storm has passed. It is much easier to do God’s work in your own home or church than it is to do God’s work out in the world.

But God did send the disciples out into the world to do his work and asks the same of each of us.

God has a plan for Amelia, a plan for me and a plan for our family. I don’t need to know that plan in its entirety, but I do pray for the pain to have purpose, for God to use us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I believe you are already living part of your purpose by sharing your story and Amelia's.

love
elena