Monday, June 14, 2010

A Gift for Amelia

I have known
since we first began making plans for Amelia’s brief life
that I needed to do something special just for her.
Something only a mother could give.

I don’t crochet. I have never scrapbooked.
She doesn’t need the perfectly coordinated closet
or nursery,
or an amazing 1st birthday party.
I may not get to nurse her or bathe her.
I may never rock her to sleep...

For days I debated.
What can you really give a baby
(other than your entire heart of course?)

This weekend my Mom and I made Amelia’s special gift;
A mother’s song,
to a very special baby.

I knew there was no way I could sing it for her
at her memorial service when that time comes.

So, we went to a studio and recorded it.
My mother and me,
for Amelia.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful gift for Amelia! I know she is proud of her mommy! Hugs!

Stephanie said...

This is going to be something that you will cherish forever. I am so happy that you found your special gift for your precious Amelia!

BY the way, I have two books that I was going to pass along to you. The first is Waiting with Gabriel and the second is I will Carry You...both written by mom's like us who knew their time with their babies would be short. Let me know if you want me to send them along.

Holly said...

That is so awesome you guys recorded it yourself. What a wonderful idea

Amber said...

What a great gift for your Ameilia! That was such an amazing idea and your voice is wonderful I agree with Stephanie you will cherish this forever.

pennynjon said...

What a wonderful idea. That is so sweet. You are doing so many things to honor your daughter. I know that you will look back on it later and be so glad that you did.

Unknown said...

How awesome! I thought about singing for Lilly as well but I would never have been able to sing at her funeral either, so a recording would have been perfect. I did not think about it at the time, so I am very glad that you have :) What a precious tribute to Amelia and now you have a recording of you singing this song while you are carrying her. *hugs*

AmyV said...

What a truly special gift. Singing to her while she is in your tummy, and something that only you and Grandma did for her. Brings tears to my eyes. Such a heartfelt way to honor Amelia, she's a precious little girl. This is definately something you and her can cherish forever together.

Melanie said...

how amazing!